Help 350.org launch its campaign to take on Australia’s fossil fuel industry!
Who We Are
350.org is a grassroots global movement working to unite the world around solutions to the climate crisis.
What We Are Doing
This year, thanks to our supporters, 350.org founder and acclaimed author Bill McKibben was able to bring his highly anticipated Do the Maths Tour to Australia.
Why Australia? Because Australia is one of the largest exporters of coal and, coal is the most carbon intensive fuel on the planet.
The coal we already export is responsible for double the carbon emissions of the whole population but, that's not the real problem. The coal we're planning to export will double that number again.
Oil and coal companies currently hold, underground, 5 times the amount of carbon that is required to destabilize the climate permanently should it be released.
To quote Bill McKibben, "If these companies follow their business plan, the planet tanks."
What We Created Together
The astonishing success of our "Do the Maths" Tour was only realised through the enthusiasm and generous backing by you, our supporters and, patrons of the planet.
Your support ensured Bill's visit had a real impact to raise awareness and public opposition to these dangerous coal expansion projects before it's too late.
What We Are Creating Now
The time has passed for talk, and for demonstrations and, for half measures.
350.org now plans to tackle the fossil fuel industry head on!
Following Bill McKibben's "Do the Maths" Tour in Australia, 350.org is setting up it's campaign to take on the fossil fuel industry through divestment and direct action!
Why Your Support Matters
To push this message, we don't need the millions spent by oil and coal lobbyists.
We do need your enthusiasm and your support and, whatever you can afford, $5, $10, $100 - will help us spread the message to boardrooms across Australia.
A total of $10,000 will kickstart our campaign and $20,000 will keep us going throughout the year.
Help us name and shame the projects that are destroying the landscape and the environment.
Help us divert financial investments away from the big polluters and into renewables.
It’s still not too late to solve the climate crisis, but unless we act quickly it will be.
For additional information visit www.350.org.
With your help we can build the team, raise awareness, develop the tools and, start to work to stop dangerous coal expansion projects before it's too late!
Raising $10,000 will help 350.org to:
- Build the Australian "Go Fossil Free" website that will provide the tools for individuals, universities, institutions such as churches and, local and state governments to divest from super funds that fund fossil fuel projects.
- Provide additional tools for those who want to switch from banks that are funding fossil fuel projects in Australia.
Additional funds up to $20,000 will allow 350.org to:
- Hire a coordinator to work with individuals, universities, institutions and, local and state governments who want to take action against climate change by divesting from fossil fuel projects.
- Hire a coordinator to work with volunteers and committed Australians who want to become more active in working to stop new fossil fuel and coal projects in areas such as the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef.
- Work more closely with US, European and Asian campaigners to coordinate our work to stop fossil fuel expansion globally.
- Produce clear information and provide social media tools to raise awareness about the threats of fossil fuel expansion and what actions we can all take to make a difference.
- Produce an Australian version of the Do the Maths movie for free distribution around the country.